Anna's Creative Space

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Feb 9, 2013 - Annual Auction Dinner Dance Artwork

It's that time of year again!  Time to showcase the artwork I created for the annual auction dinner dance, the major fundraiser for my childrens' K-8 school.  We raised money for school repairs, upgrades and new technology for the classrooms.  Our auction happened on February 9th and was a smashing success.  I'm very proud to say I was one of 3 ladies who co-chaired the event and, together with a team of dedicated people, brought it to fruition after 6 months of hard work.

I created a series of posters and signs as part of the overall decor.  The theme this year was the school's 50th anniversary, so our color scheme was black, cream and gold.

This is the welcome sign that was displayed in the foyer. 

I used the following materials:

Foam core poster board
Canson Mi-Teintes colored drawing paper, Stygian Black
Canson Mi-Teintes colored drawing paper, Eggshell
Strathmore Chromolux Mirri, Gold
Martha Stewart Large Glitter, Onyx
Doodlebug 1/8 Sugar Brads, Beetle Black
Cricut Everyday Cartridge Art Deco, Curtain Call font


I attached the Canson eggshell paper to the poster board with the spray adhesive.  I then created the 3D frame by cutting (2)long strips and (2) short strips from the Canson black paper, running them through a 5” Xyron, applying onyx glitter to the top, folding the strips into long rectangular boxes, pasting them together in the corners, and adhering the entire frame to the poster board with glue lines.


I created the art deco couple using free clipart I found on the internet.  I enlarged and printed the image through MS Paint, then used it as a pattern to draw and cut out the man and woman.  I popped the arm of the woman off the page at the shoulder, the hand of the man at his hip, and the man's tie off of his jacket.  I used Doodlebug Sugar Brads for the man's tuxedo buttons.


All letters and numbers were created from the Cricut Art Deco cartridge.  All of the 1" and 2" letters and numbers had to be cut twice--once from the gold chromolux, and once from the black cardstock.  The letters had to be run through the xyron 3 times--once for the glitter, once to adhere the black & gold letters together, and a 3rd time for the completed letters.


I created (10) 12" x 12" 50th Anniversary signs that were used as decor on the auction tables around the room .  The fan effect was created by popping each layer off of the previous layer. 

 
I used the following materials:

Recollections 12 x 12 glitter paper, black
Recollections 12 x 12 shimmer paper, String of Pearls
Strathmore Chromolux Mirri, Gold

I created 10 category signs for use on auction tables around the room:






I made a small lamp decoration and a sign for the check-in table:




I made 20 double-sided table numbers (only 19 were used).  The art deco inspired square mats were cut from Spellbinders Labels 22.  Each table number had a small strip of black ribbon attached to the inside bottom of the tent so the weight of the glitter paper wouldn't open too wide and flatten out the tent.


I made 129 simple place cards from black cardstock and eggshell colored copy paper.  The venue allowed us 4 menu choices, so I used colored dots on the back to indicate which meals were chosen.



I designed the invitation, RSVP cards and program.  I had the invites and RSVP cards professionally printed with gold foil and thermography on off-white linen cardstock, and I pasted the invites onto a 5" x 7" black cardstock base.  The printer also made 135 programs for the event.  He used black thermography on linen cardstock for the cover to give the design a glossy look.  The interior pages were flat printing on off-white linen paper.











 Finally, here are some photos of the venue:



 

My scraproom looked like a bomb went off inside it the night before the event.  I think I got 2 hours of sleep that night.


A photo booth picture of my hubby and I all dressed up.  Everyone at the event was able to use this photo booth for complimentary photos.


So now you know what I've been doing with myself for the past 6 months.  I hope you enjoyed my little tour of our school fundraiser.  It was a lot of work, but I really enjoyed it, I made some wonderful friends along the way, and we had a fabulous turnout--190 people came!  I was so happy with the end result.  We all had a great time.

Many happy scrappenings,
Anna

3 comments:

  1. Everything looks so beautiful. I know you did a lot of work but man oh man, you did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Incredible work, I'm going to steal some font ideas. I went to OLPH in Bakersfield which opened 63 years ago (1951) Thanks & Congrats!

    ReplyDelete